All Pet Owners Must Be Weary of These Christmas Hazards
The most wonderful time of the year is upon us again. However, besides decorating and planning family dinners, pet owners must make sure that their furry companions are safe with all the decorations and food scattered about. In this article, we will be looking at the most common Christmas hazards for pets so you can protect your cats and dogs and truly have a merry, incident-free Christmas.
Christmas Light Strands
Those pretty light strands that are decorating your home and Christmas tree are dangerous items around your pets. A dog or a cat might chew on the electrical cord, leading to a dangerous shocking injury.
Alternatively, a pet might become tangled in the light strands, leading to strangulation. Place the light strands higher up on a tree or in locations that aren’t easily accessible to your pets.
After baking a turkey or other poultry, don’t leave the remains of the item where a pet can access it. Poultry bones are potential choking hazards for pets because the bones can break or split in the mouth.
Moreover, if an animal swallows a bone, it can damage the esophagus, stomach or intestinal tract. Poultry bones are especially dangerous as they can break into sharp shards that can perforate the stomach and impale your pet.
Wrap the bones in a trash bag before placing them in a wastebasket that has a tightly fitted lid.
Shiny Christmas ornaments will look like new toys to your cats or dogs. The difference is that biting into one of these is a potential danger.
Metal or glass ornaments can lead to lacerations in the roof of the mouth, and if the tiny pieces are swallowed, they can cause life-threatening internal bleeding. Softer ornaments are also dangerous because an animal can suffocate or have an obstruction in the gastrointestinal system.
Go for large plastic ornaments that are bigger than your pet’s mouth. Avoid glitter as much as possible.
Don’t leave glasses of alcohol where a pet can access the beverages. A dog or cat that consumes alcohol will have dangerous problems that can include severe diarrhea, vomiting, hypothermia, blood toxicity or a coma.
If your pet consumes any amount of alcohol, then you should seek emergency treatment from a veterinarian before they exhibit any symptoms.
The tinsel on a Christmas tree is one of the most dangerous Christmas decorations for pets. It can wrap around an animal’s tongue or cause an obstruction in the stomach and the intestines.
Hang the tinsel higher on a tree, away from your pet’s reach. When you think that a pet has swallowed tinsel, bring the pet to your veterinarian’s office for an X-ray and observation.
Remember that a pet can access the tinsel from Christmas trees that are thrown away on the curb for trash pick-up after the holidays.
Grapes and Onions
While cooking a holiday meal, make sure that your pets don’t ingest any dangerous ingredients, such as onions, chives, garlic or grapes. These foods contain substances that are toxic for pets and can damage the kidneys, stop red blood cell formation or cause other life-threatening issues.
Don’t give your pets any foods that are made for people, and also, tell your guests to avoid feeding your cats or dogs. Keep food away from your pets.
If you plan on decorating your house with seasonal plants this holiday season, then you should know that these items are poisonous for pets. Make sure to place potted poinsettias on higher areas that your dog can’t reach.
If you have cats, then you must use extra caution because felines can reach them even on higher shelves and poinsettias are extremely toxic for them. Additional plants that are dangerous include mistletoe and holly along with plants that grow from bulbs, including iris or amaryllis plants.
If you receive Christmas packages in the mail or if you are wrapping holiday gifts, then don’t place the items underneath the Christmas tree or in any location where a dog or a cat can reach them.
The odors from some of these packages can attract your pets, and if the animals chew through a box, they might ingest a poison or swallow something that is a choking hazard. Place the gifts on a table or a high shelf.
Various Types of Nuts
During the holidays, you may buy different types of nuts to eat as snacks or to chop and mix into baked goods. It is important to remember that black walnuts, pecans or macadamia nuts are Christmas hazards for pets, leading to dangerous health problems. It is safer to avoid giving your pet any type of plain nuts or food that might contain nuts.
Snow globes are a favorite holiday decoration, but the items may contain a dangerous chemical. Some companies use antifreeze in the water of the snow globes, and if the item breaks and a pet licks the sweet-smelling liquid, then it can lead to death.
If you want to have a snow globe in your home during the holidays, then make sure to choose one that is made without antifreeze.
While decorating your home for the holidays or buying gifts, you should keep a list of the common Christmas hazards for pets. Keep your furry children safe during the holidays.
I owe my love of animals, felines in particular, to my mother. For as long as I can remember, cats and dogs have played an active role in our household and family. Frankly, I can’t remember a moment in my life that I have spent without the cherished company of a furry friend, and I couldn’t be happier about it.Read more »