10 Best Pet Camera Options of 2020 | Reviews and Recommendations
Have you ever considered getting one of the best pet cameras on the market to keep an eye on your pet? My best buddy, Haiku, who, on rare occasions, remains home alone and in charge, helped me review these ten best pet camera options to keep an eye on your beloved furry family member!
KAMTRON Wireless WiFi Dog CameraCheck price »
DOGCOOL Smart Pet CameraCheck price »
TAOCOCO Pet Dog CameraCheck price »
There is no better greeting than that given by your faithful dog when you return home from a hard day’s work. Morning goodbyes, however, can be heartbreaking. Bidding adieu to those big adoring eyes can be “ruff” on you both, but thanks to ‘digital doggie daycare,’ you can keep an eye on your beloved pet no matter where you are! You can now choose from a wide selection of best pet camera options to make things easier for everyone!
Being able to peek in on him, knowing he is resting comfortably while I’m stuck in traffic or delayed at an appointment, provides peace of mind and lets me un-stress. Therefore, the features I looked for when doing these best pet camera reviews were:
- Resolution, because if you can’t make out what your pet is doing, what’s the point? 1080p is considered full high definition, and the “p” means you’re receiving a progressive scan, one line sequentially following the other, rather than odd lines followed by even, for twice the bandwidth.
- Viewing angle, because dogs move about and often sleep in hidden places, so finding a camera that pans and tilts is essential.
- Two-way audio, since you want to hear what your furry pal is up to, and may want to tell him to “leave it,” or send kisses.
- Night vision, since not every time humans leave the building the sun is out.
- Extra options like tossing treats, feeding a meal, dispensing aromatherapy, or playing music to keep pets calm, may be of interest to some. Of course, added features increase the price, so I’ve also addressed affordability.
- 10 Best Dog Treats to Spoil Your Furry Friend With - Telma treated her adorable pooches to some of the best dog treats on the market. Here's what they had to say about them!
|KAMTRON Wireless WiFi Dog Camera
|DOGCOOL Smart Pet Camera
|TAOCOCO Pet Dog Camera
|JEMPET Automatic Feeder
|FURBO Dog Camera
|PETCUBE Play 2 Wi-Fi Pet Camera
|PAWBO Pet Life Camera
|WOPET Smart Pet Camera
10. Zmodo EZCam
- Adjustable two-way audio
- Noise-reducing microphone
- Bare bones
- Additional monthly fee for Cloud service
- Resolution only 720p
The Zmodo EZCam is not pet-specific, but still a camera to watch a dog, cat, or anyone in or approaching your home.
It may be the perfect no-frills model and save you a bundle if you purchase the refurbished product, tested and certified to look and work like new. The free option saves motion-activated alerts for 36 hours. An infrared camera will capture a range of up to 26 feet.
9. PetChatz Premium Pet Treat Camera
- Pets can see owners
- Paw Pad allows the pet to call YOU
- The screen can play recorded videos
- Dispenses treats & aromatherapy
- iOS/Android app or desktop computer
- Excellent customer service
- Only 720p and 65.5° viewing angle
- No night vision
Looking for one of the best dog cameras? How about one that not only provides an interactive experience where you can listen to and be heard by your dog, but that also dispenses treats and aromatherapy, and allows your dog to call YOU?!
Well, the Petchatz Premium Pet Treat Camera does all of this and more. PawCall is a button your pet can be taught to press to let you know he is thinking of you. Answer his call and he can see as well as hear, your soothing voice.
Videos can be played via DogTV subscription to keep him entertained, and both treats and calming aromatherapy can be dispensed. Designed by a team of pet experts in varying fields, the design is chew resistant with no sharp edges or cords to chew. For pet parents who spare no expense to watch their pet while on the go!
8. WOPET Smart Pet Camera
- Treat tossing via Android app
- iOS 7.0 or Android 5.0 and above
- Medium to high cost
- 2.4GHz WiFi, 5G not supported
- Resolution only 720p
One of the larger dog cameras for home use, the WOPET Smart Pet Camera is stationary but has suction cups to keep it in place.
No pan or tilt, but a 123° wide viewing angle to spy on, er, keep tabs on your best friend, keeping you certain he does not eat too many leftover pickles!
The camera has two-way audio and treats-throwing capability, but make sure the treats are hard/crunchy and no larger than dime-sized.
7. PAWBO Life Pet Camera
- Special features: laser toy & treat dispenser
- Instant social media sharing
- Connect up to 8 phones
- iOS 8 or later (iPhone, iPad, and iPod), Android 4.0.3 or later version
- Night vision accessory sold separately
- Easily knocked over due to lightweight design
- Resolution only 720p
With the PAWBO Life Pet Camera, your home-alone-dog will be alerted when you check in on him via a unique ringtone. The two-way audio will allow you to converse, or issue a stern warning if he’s up to no good!
If he’s a good boy, however, you can toss a treat to reward his good behavior. This is one of the best pet camera options for cats, too, because it also has an integrated laser should your kitty enjoy a game of pounce and chase while you’re away. WiFi environment required for a 2.4GHz connectivity with WPA2-AES encryption. Easy login using QR code.
6. Petcube Play 2 WiFi Pet Camera
- 1080p with night vision
- Compatible with 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wi-Fi
- Built-in Alexa
- More compact/improved over previous versions
- 2.4G & 5G WiFi capable
- Only 160° viewing angle
- iOS 11, Android 7. 1. 2 & higher
- Extra fee for smart alert/recording
Another best pet camera for cats as it comes with a laser function, the Petcube Play 2 WiFi Camera can be controlled from your smartphone or set in auto-play mode to exercise and entertain your pet when you can’t do it yourself. More importantly, you can keep an eye on the cat so she does not make a move towards dog’s food 🙂
This new and improved 2019 version has been re-engineered to precisely follow your finger in real-time as you swipe your phone screen moving the laser.
Full room view is provided in full HD so you can see your pet as well as hear him, as the 4-microphone array provides rich quality sound. No need for a separate Alexa device, this indoor pet camera has you covered.
- Over 30 Crazy Cat Lady Starter Pack Products – All That Cat Lovers Need to Own - Are you a real crazy cat lady (or guy)? Here are 30+ products that make up the ultimate crazy cat lady starter kit.
5. Furbo Dog Camera
- Dispenses treats
- Bark & motion alerts
- Supports iOS and Android
- Emergency alerts coming soon
- 6-ft power cord limits placement
- Requires special sized treats
- Limited 160° viewing angle
- Cloud recording requires additional pay
Looking for the best home pet camera for pets? Look no further than the Furbo Dog Camera. With the real-time bark notification, you’ll receive an alert on your smartphone when your dog lets out a howl.
Great for pet parents with anxious pets, so that you can monitor what’s going on, but you can set the sensitivity so as not to be notified for every little sound. An integrated noise filter aids in preventing false alarms.
Should you look in and catch your furry fella or lady acting well behaved, toss a treat, and offer a “good boy” or “good girl.” Blue & yellow indicator lights (two colors dogs see) help your pup anticipate an interaction with you, while a selfie alert takes a photo of your precious pooch when the camera detects your dog facing it.
Approved by veterinarians and professional dog trainers, the Furbo dog camera has been featured on “Ellen.”
4. JEMPET Feeder Camera
- Programmable feeder
- 1080p & night vision
- 60-second pre-recording capability (to call pet to dinner)
- Plugin or uses 3 “D” batteries
- Supports Alexa, Android, Apple IOS
- Small 5g portions of dry food only
- Device must remain on the floor
- Currently out of stock
- All functions do not work in battery mode
Looking for something different in your choice of best indoor camera for pets? This could be it! JEMPET offers not only one of the best pet monitoring cameras (1080p with impressive night vision), but also a portion-controlled programmable feeder in case you need to make a stop on your way home from work.
Small kibble portions only, so it may be just a snack to hold your pooch over, but better than having him eat the furniture out of starvation. You can monitor him as he chews, day or night, with a 120° viewing angle lens.
3. TAOCOCO Dog Pet Camera
- 1080p and night vision up to 32 feet
- 3G 4G WiFi
- Connect up to 5 users
- Micro SD card not included
The TAOCOCO Dog Pet Camera looks like a dog, especially in profile, when you can see the antennae form the tail!
One-year free warranty and lifetime technical support is included in this excellent motion detector camera that will record a short video to an SD card and send you an alert. Two-way audio allows you to listen to and talk to your pet.
2. DOGCOOL Smart Pet Camera
- 1080p and night vision up to 32 feet
- Special features: Laser toy, adjusts AC, tracks motion, barking alert
- Connects up to 6 phones
- Supports Alexa, Echo, &OS iOS, Android, Tablet, iPad
- Security encryption
- Only supports 2.4G WiFi, not 5G
- SD card purchased separately (64 GB)
New for 2019, the Dogcool Smart Pet Camera comes with all the bells and whistles, yet is reasonably priced. This pet monitor provides a 360° panoramic view, with a 120° wide-angle. It tilts 155° to find your dog wherever he might be hanging out when you’re not home.
You’ll be able to see him because of the 1080p full HD quality image you’ll receive. Additionally, the two-way audio not only allows you to hear your pet, and to speak to him, but a library of up 100 lullabies can be played to keep him company! Now, this is a gift for your pet-loving friend to consider!
Should a visitor send your pooch into a barking frenzy, the app pushes a notification to your smartphone to alert you. The camera also captures motion and will signal you and video record it.
One more feature is the laser toy, which makes the Dogcool the best pet camera for cats! Through your phone, you can manually move the laser, or set it to play mode, to keep your furry feline or canine busy. The laser can even adjust your AC setting to ensure your pet is climate controlled. It comes with a mount and drywall screws.
1. KAMTRON Wireless WiFi Dog Camera
- 1080p & super infrared LED night vision
- Pans & tilts to get you a 360° view
- Security encryption
- Very economical
- Can add multiple cameras
- Provide a review (positive or not) & get a free 32GM SD card
- No pet-specific features (treats)
- 2.4GHz WiFi only
Wonder what your pooch is up to when he’s home alone? This best pet monitoring camera will give you the 4-1-1 you seek! Morning, noon, or night, the KAMTRON Wireless WiFi Dog Camera allows you to see, hear, and talk to your pet.
Free MIPC cloud storage will save your data, but you can use this device with up to 128GB SD card. The video is truly clear and wide-angled, and from your smartphone, you can pan and tilt to follow your dog around the house 360°.
Motion detection alerts snap a photo and records to your mobile device, pushing the live feed your way. Easy set-up can connect to two or more cell phones at the same time.
The KAMTRON Dog Camera is our pick as the best camera to watch pets, not only for its excellent picture quality but for its impressive pan and tilt feature, allowing me to find my little buddy everywhere he goes. A GRRReat way to breathe a sigh of relief that all is good on the home front, especially during the holidays!
- Giving Pets as Gifts: The Do’s and Don’ts - The holidays are usually when people give pets as gifts. We tell you why that is not a good idea and what you should do if you really want to gift a pet.
The Best Pet Camera to Get this Year: Frequently Asked Questions
Before we wrap up this article, let’s see some of the most frequently asked questions we received from pet lovers interested in the best pet cameras on the market!
Is a pet camera worth it?
If you want to keep an eye on your furry friend while you are at work or running errands, a pet camera is worth every cent, especially if your feline/canine buddy is the… free spirit type, always curious, and always ready to experiment.
On the other hand, if you have a litter of puppies to watch, raising them, socializing them, and making sure they are safe at all times makes a pet camera one of the best investments. Dog and cat cams help you preserve the safety of the litter, your peace of mind, and your home’s integrity when you are not around.
If your dog has problems eating, for instance, you can watch his behavior and eating patterns to understand the issue better and help the vet make the best recommendations.
Moreover, even if you cat-proofed everything during Christmas time, the pet camera will definitely help you see what is going on in your absence.
Is it safe to install a pet camera?
Hacking into the pet camera in your house for a perp to take a glimpse of what is inside is not unheard of. In fact, hackers love pet cameras that do not come with security measures, as they allow them to peer into your home. To make sure you do not expose the house and your family to any type of cyber or non-cyber criminal, make sure that the best pet camera you buy features a built-in security system, a password protection feature, and other similar safety measures.
How should the best pet camera work?
As we discussed when we reviewed the best pet cameras on the market, you should look for three essential features. Once you find a camera that nails them, you can further explore other features and options. Here are the main tech specs the best and most affordable pet camera should sport:
- A 360-degree spin to allow you to see your pet no matter where he or she chooses to spend their free time around the house;
- Night vision to watch for your pet after dark, in case you are not home;
- Dual-way audio that allows you to interact with your pet when you need to.
What is the best pet camera on the market?
Upon testing and reviewing some of the best pest cameras on the market, here are our top three best pet cameras choices for 2020:
KAMTRON Wireless WiFi Dog Camera – Best Overall, with excellent price/value ratio;
DOGCOOL Smart Pet Camera – Best for its Special Features and an excellent choice for both cats and dogs; it also works amazingly as a smart home security camera in case you need extra protection for your home.
TAOCOCO Pet Dog Camera – Best for Design, features, and efficiency.
Whether looking in on your furry family member is plain fun or gives you peace of mind when you can’t be with him, I hope these best pet camera reviews have provided you with a good starting point when choosing the best home camera for your pets.
Personally, the added bells and whistles are more things that can go wrong. Being safety-minded, I not only worry about my pup choking on a tossed treat when I’m not home, but also about his courage in trying to attack the device so that more treats will fly his way!
Many of these home cameras can be wall-mounted or placed high, but know your pet when choosing the extra features, and read carefully before ordering to note which devices require additional parts or fees.
Whichever brand you choose to monitor your pet, do get home quickly and safely to your furry pal. After all, you can’t give belly rubs and ear scratches through a camera. Well, not yet anyway!
What would be your reason for monitoring your pet? If you already own a device, what is your choice as the best pet camera for dogs? If you have peeked in on your dog doing anything naughty, fun, or plain kooky, do share.
DENISE FLECK is an award-winning author, animal care instructor and radio show host. She was named one of Pet Age Magazine’s “Women of Influence” for 2018, a “Most Inspiring Story” in 2017 by Voyage Atlanta Magazine and has been nominated for 6 Dog Writers Awards to be announced in early 2019.Read more »