10 Best Dog Beds to Treat Your Pooch Like Royalty
Haiku brings you the definitive list of the ten best dog beds to treat your pooch like royalty, their main features, pros, cons, and more.
Kopeks High Grade Orthopedic Dog BedCheck price »
Big Barker Orthopedic Dog BedCheck price »
Brentwood Deluxe Gel Memory Dog BedCheck price »
The life of a bone-a-fide dog product reviewer can be RUFF when it’s up to you to shop around for luxury dog beds. My Chikita (part Chow, part Akita), Haiku, however, knew it was his duty to seek out which deluxe dog beds could offer your dog a restful night’s sleep.
We found a few that could allow your pooch to live like a king or queen but sold for way more than a cupboard full of dog biscuits, while other luxury dog beds seemed within reach of most budgets. Haiku’s priority was the ability to stretch his 18” legs and firmly support his older 72 lbs. frame, but he did remind me that some pups prefer to rest curled up.
He shared that many dogs enjoy head and neck support, so we looked for a variety of options in our fancy dog bed search that included headrests, as well as 3-sided bolster dog beds. My fuzzy buddy turned over to me, the task of determining if these so-called stylish dog beds would be a welcome accessory in human living spaces or not. I also chimed in as to whether I could easily clean these high-quality dog beds
- Kopeks High Grade Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Brentwood Deluxe Gel Memory Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Chesterfield Pet Bed
- The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Enchanted Home Pet Dog Sofa
- Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Sofa Lounger
- Sealy Dog Bed Lux Lavender Infused Dog Bed
- Grand Masterpiece Dog Bed by Coleman Furniture
- Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed
10. Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Dog Bed
Price Range: LowCheck price »
- Large selection of colors
- Great for dogs who like to nest & hide
- Not available for giant breeds
- Not enough support for dogs with joint or muscle issues
- Cotton batting may mat down over time
The Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Dog Bed is perfect for dogs with nesting instincts or a cave mentality. The Sherpa interior provides a snuggly feel, and the polycotton cover is machine-washable.
It looks like an overstuffed pillow with a hoodie, but an orthopedic foam insert can be purchased separately. It comes in 40 colors and patterns to suit the human taste, and four sizes for dogs.
Weight: 10 lbs.
Dimensions: XL 45” Diameter X 4” Sidewall X 8” Hood
9. Grand Masterpiece Dog Bed
Price Range: Ultra HighCheck price »
- Definite conversation piece
- Well-made and may match human décor
- Plush & private for dog
- Extremely expensive & a bit over-the-top
- Only for the smallest of dogs
If a classic boudoir is yours and your doted upon dog’s desire, the Grand Masterpiece Dog Bed should please you both. With its matching bed, dresser, and accessories for pet parents, humans and canines will be the envy of the neighborhood.
Crafted from walnut, cherry, and Mappa burl wood veneers with mahogany solids, this luxurious dog bed provides plushness, privacy, and prestige to even the prissiest of pooches.
True artisan craftsmanship is the mainstay of this highest of high-end dog beds that outdoes itself with a top bunk embellished with brass plated crown and Swarovski crystals. Removable cushions, pillows, and drapes included.
Weight: 122 lbs.
Dimensions: 33″ W x 24.5″ D x 36.75″ H
- 30 Crazy Rich Pets You’ll End up Envying After Reading This - What are the richest pets in the world? From dogs to cats and chickens, these rich pets are the envy of the world.
8. Sealy Dog Bed Lux Lavender Infused Dog Bed
- Quality you can trust
- Additional lavender body spray is included to refresh scent
- The cover is machine-washable
- Comes in only one color, grey
- Not for dogs who sleep outstretched
- If you have a cat in the family, check with your vet about allowing her near essential oils
The Sealy Dog Bed, made by a company humans trust for comfort, is the only luxurious dog bed we discovered that is lavender-infused! The essential oils help dogs relax and work to repel insects, while the memory foam contours to your dog’s body, making him sink into comfort.
Weight: 17 lbs.
Dimensions: XL 48” L X 38” W X 8” H
7. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Sofa Lounger
- Durable water-resistant cover is machine-washable
- 4 colors, 4 sizes
- Bolsters support head & neck
- Best for nesting dogs, others may not be able to stretch due to bolsters
Made with a baby mattress-grade memory foam base, the Forever Friends Orthopedic Dog Bed Sofa Lounger has dogs raving over the comfort it provides.
The fur-resistant, water-resistant, machine-washable cover is a plus, as is the non-skid surface allowing you to place the bed on wood or tile floors. Grrreat choice for dogs with joint aches and pains!
Weight: 14.5 lbs.
Dimensions: XL 44” L X 34” W X 10” H (Interior sleeping area smaller due to 3 bolster sides)
6. Enchanted Home Pet Dog Sofa
Price Range: LowCheck price »
- Washable cushion cover
- Quality piece of furniture
- Two wooden legs may be unsteady if not on a level surface
- Only the smallest of dogs can stretch out
The Enchanted Home Pet Dog Sofa Bed might be one of the fanciest dog beds for small dogs. This plush and stylish dog bed is fully upholstered, and the furniture-grade construction makes this a favorite high-quality dog bed for pups who enjoy sleeping curled up.
The embossed micro-velvet cushion and faux leather trim make it a stylish piece of furniture for any room in your home. Holds pets up to 30lbs., but is also available in a “Library Sofa Bed” model for dogs up to 90 lbs.
Weight: 17 lbs.
Dimensions: 35” W X 22.25” D X 15” H (Cushion is 24” X 16”)
5. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Waterproof liner & easy to clean cover
- Bolsters support head & neck
- Not for little dogs unless several like to huddle together
- The dog may not be able to stretch due to side bolsters
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed has three bolstered sides like the Brentwood, but without the gel layer, yet some dogs claim to like it better than their spot on mom and dad’s couch! This lower profile luxury pet bed is made of high density, orthopedic memory foam, designed for dogs who have difficulty stepping up to higher mattresses.
Bolsters make it cozy for dogs who like to curl up and can also aid in retaining body heat. With a plush cover that is blanket soft, this is truly one of the best dog beds for large dogs.
Weight: 13 lbs.
Dimensions: 43.5” L X 34” W X 4” H (10” bolster sides)
- 23 Most Crazy Expensive Dog Breeds in the World - A top of the 13 most expensive dog breeds in the world, complete with how much they cost and what makes them so special.
4. Chesterfield Pet Bed
- A lovely accessory to any home
- The cushion is machine washable (cold water, gentle cycle)
- Wooden legs may rock if the floor isn’t level
- Only for small dogs; note the actual size of the area to lay on
Is this beautiful piece of furniture for you or the dog? Except for its small size, that’s what company might ask when they come to call. The Chesterfield Dog Sofa Bed is one of the great luxury dog beds available today.
Doubling as a sofa, it comes in both navy and grey, and it’s handmade of washable, waterproof velvet. A wood frame provides sturdiness while the button-tufted back and nailhead trim results in one of the most stylish dog beds and sofas on the market today.
Weight: 20 lbs.
Dimensions: 33″ W x 20″ D x 16.5″ H Seat: 21″ W x 13.5″ D x 10″ H
3. Brentwood Deluxe Gel Memory Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Cooling gel layer
- Comes with waterproof liner; cover is machine washable
- Dogs love the comfort; humans love the look
- More costly than most
- The dog may not be able to stretch all the way due to side bolsters
Of the luxurious dog beds reviewed, this is the only one with a 2” gel memory foam layer that stays cool while relieving body aches and joint pain. Coolness is known to take down inflammation, and below the gel is a 2” therapeutic foam base assured not to flatten or have your dog “bottom out” when taking a snooze.
Covered with an upholstery-grade cover, it resists tears and punctures from canine nails, while the bolster support on three sides provides comfort for dogs who like to lean or rest their head. Comes in 4 sizes.
Weight: 20 lbs.
Dimensions: XL 54” L X 35” W X 10” at back & bolster sides
2. Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Guaranteed to last a decade
- Cover is machine washable & comes in 4 colors
- Dogs & humans love it; very comfortable
- Twice the price of its comparable dog beds
- Only for large dogs but comes in three sizes
- The waterproof liner is $70 extra
Considered the high-quality dog bed to beat, the Big Barker uses advanced sensor technology to demonstrate how it eliminates painful pressure points on your large best friend. Designed for big dogs, the high-quality therapeutic foam has a 10-year warranty, guaranteed not to flatten or pancake over time.
Pet parents and pets alike have enjoyed a restful sleep laying on this deluxe dog bed. The cover makes the Big Barker look and feel like a high-end velvety piece of furniture, so it gets 4 ½ PAWS UP! The only reason for a slightly less than perfect 5 stars is the high price and extra charge for the waterproof liner.
Weight: 15 lbs.
Dimensions of XL Bed: 52” L X 36” W X 7” H (10” at headrest)
1. Kopeks High Grade Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Two water-resistant, machine-washable zippered covers provide protection
- The anti-slip bottom is excellent for wood and tile floors
- Dogs love it; very comfortable
- Replacement covers are available
- ½ the price of its closest competitor, The Big Barker
- One size, one color (but replacement cover comes in grey as a décor option)
Haiku PAWSitively feels that the Kopeks 7” High Grade Orthopedic Dog Bed is genuinely one of the best dog beds for large dogs he has ever encountered! It arrived in a narrow box, but once unpackaged, the bed unfurled from a compressed 2” thickness to its more than 4’ length as the memory foam began to expand rapidly.
Haiku patiently waited till the next day to give it a fair assessment, and within 10 hours, this deluxe dog bed reached its maximum 7” thickness and 10” at the headrest. Made of hypo-allergenic premium memory foam, this deluxe dog bed is wondeRUFFul for pets with arthritis or joint and muscle issues, and is truly one of the best dog beds for big dogs!
At 14-years young, Haiku has a few aches and pains and had ACL surgery in his younger years, so this is not only a fancy dog bed for him, but a therapeutic one as well, that allows him to recharge for each new day of adventures! Since my little buddy enjoys sleeping sprawled out, the 50” long Kopeks Dog Bed allows him to stretch and stretch with room left over.
Weight: 15 lbs.
Dimensions: 50” L x 34” W x 7” H (10” at headrest)
Just like pet parents, some dogs are side sleepers, others snooze on their tummies, some like to curl into a fetal position, while others stretch their legs and run in dreamland. The first step in knowing which is the best luxury dog bed for your best friend is to notice which of these he is.
Next, watch to see if your dog is a leaner or likes to rest his head on something soft. If so, a fancy dog bed with a headrest or bolsters should be your choice. Does your dog like to sink into a cushion, or is he getting up in years and finding it more challenging to get out of soft spots? Mattress firmness is something we can all relate to, and each have our preferences.
It may be called the Goldilocks syndrome, but we’ve all been there testing a bed that is too hard, too soft, or just right! Every dog has his preferred firmness too! Finally, measure your dog, and measure him again, from his head to the base of his tail, and also the length of his outstretched legs to be sure you purchase the most luxurious dog bed that is just right for him.
What do you think? Do dogs need beds as puppies and young adults, or only once they get into their senior years? Is it outrageous to buy your pooch a bed that costs thousands of dollars, even if it is one of the ten best dog beds to treat your pooch like royalty?
Maybe the question is, is it outrageous to purchase a human bed that costs thousands of dollars? What is your priority in buying a bed, for a human or canine?
DENISE FLECK is an award-winning author, animal care instructor and radio show host. She was named one of Pet Age Magazine’s “Women of Influence” for 2018, a “Most Inspiring Story” in 2017 by Voyage Atlanta Magazine and has been nominated for 6 Dog Writers Awards to be announced in early 2019.Read more »